- 8 oz. softened whipped cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into half inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Place all pastry ingredients into a bowl and, with a fork, mix and mash until dough begins to form. Do not overwork the dough. Press into a disk shape and refrigerate until ready to roll out.
- In a 10-inch skillet, over medium heat, cook the mushrooms and onions in hot butter until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream, salt, thyme, and flour. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Divide the dough into two parts, and roll out each half on a well-floured surface, to a twelve by twelve inch square. Place one rolled-out half on a well-floured perogie maker. Spoon the filling into the dough lined pockets. Cover with the other half of hte dough. Press the top layer of dough, gently. Roll a rolling pin firmly over the perogie maker. Turn the perogie maker over, and tap gently on its back to release the turnovers. Reroll the scraps, and repeat process, this time covering only half the area of the perogie maker. Continue to do this until the dough is used up, covering a smaller area of the perogie maker each time.
- Brush with slightly beaten egg.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until golden.
- You can freeze these turnovers unbaked, then pop them right in the oven - just bake a little longer.
- Makes approximately 24 turnovers.