My grandmother used to come to us every year with this honey cake. She baked it in a sheet pan, lined with a brown paper bag. I've kept the recipe and make it every year. I've added the bees for a special yom tov effect!
- 1 whole seedless orange, cut in chunks (do not peel)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (+2 Tbsp) sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup strong coffee (or 1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee dissolved in 3/4 cup boiling water)
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-3 tablespoons soymilk
- Use ready-made (sold at Kitchen Art)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a large bundt pan or tube pan or coat with baking spray.
- Place orange in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse with quick on/offs until finely minced. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs with sugar until light, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except for orange and mix until combined. Add orange to batter and mix until combined.
- Fill the pans with batter.
- Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes. (When you insert a cake tester, it will come out without any batter clinging to it.)
- Cool for 15 minutes in pan, then invert onto cooling rack, and cool completely.
- Place cake on serving plate. Spoon honey icing over cake. Decorate with honeybees.
- This recipe can also be made in mini loaf pans. Yields approximately 24-30 mini loaves.