This delicious and nutritious dish gets 5 stars on a Mediterranean diet. The beautiful colours will add a burst of sunshine to your table.
Yield: 12 servings
- 12 peppers
- 1¼ cups fine bulgur
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- ½ chili pepper finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ Tbsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 150 gr. crumbled feta cheese
- In a pot, combine bulgur with 2½ cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook just till all the liquid has been absorbed. (keep an eye on it, because it cooks very fast.)
- In a wide sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent. Add the zucchini, chili pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cook until just heated through, about 6-7 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine bulgur and vegetable mixture. Add the paprika, lemon zest, and feta cheese and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. lightly oil a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Cut out tops of peppers. Divide the bulgur mixture evenly between the peppers, then arrange them in the baking pan. Sprinkle with olive oil, then cover with foil at 350 F for about one hour, until peppers are tender and juicy. Transfer to plates and serve hot.
Cut out the plating step and bake these in oven-to-table ware!
For a modern, classy look, you can go with the Infinity Oblong Baker, available in Gold/Glass, Nickel/Glass, Copper/Glass, Gold/Porcelain, Nickel/Porcelain, and Copper/Porcelain (Also available in round), accompanied by the Infinity Gold Fork-Spatula Set (also available in nickel).